A Woman Who Serves: Massage and support during pregnancy
Studies have found that having a doula present at your birth may help to reduce the incidence of pain medicine, episiotomy, cesarean birth, shorten average labor and delivery time and make breastfeeding easier for the mother and child.
The word, "Doula," comes from the ancient Greek meaning, "A woman who serves," and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.
Along with assisting the expectant mother in preparing for and carrying out her plans for the impending birth, the birth doula stays with the mother throughout the entire labor and provides emotional and physical support from an objective viewpoint, and facilitates communication between the laboring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers. You can obtain more answers about doula services and how it can help support you during your pregnancy here.
As a licensed Massage Therapist along with DONA training in prenatal and labor support, we also offer the following:
- Help you and your partner write a birth wishes list full of preferences that work for you
- Prenatal and postnatal massage therapy
- Massage and support during your labor and delivery. This support includes your partner so that the two of you can have the best and most beautiful birth experience possible
- Postpartum massage therapy. After your six week exam and clearance from your doctor or midwife, you may receive a full body massage to help your body return to its pre-pregnancy state.
You may be a good candidate for a birth doula if you:
- Are interested in choosing comfort measures during labor and delivery (which may be included with or take the place of pain medicine)
- Believe that a woman's body is made with the ability to bring forth life
- Wish to have your partner fully participate in supporting you during the baby's birth
- Desire to have a supportive professional by your side wherever you choose to birth your baby. This means that Monarch Massage & Doula Care will focus all attention on the birth mother and the partner while the obstetrician or midwife performs all clinical duties.